Happy Hump Day!
I was super excited to leave work yesterday to start working on my truck’s exhaust system. I have a 200 Chevy S10 2.2L, LS with an extended cab. It is just a little guy but that doesn’t mean it has to be super lame. As you might remember, I am in the process of finishing the paint job. Well the parts came for the new exhaust system so I had to jump on it.
I got it from Summit Racing, you can find them here: summitracing.com . It was basically a four piece set. There was an adapter that was supposed to fit on the existing pipe and then widen to fit the muffler, the muffler itself, a bent pipe to go over the back axle, and the back tail pipe. It also came with four clamps and two hanging brackets to fasten it to the frame. Everything was well and good. I got home and pulled it in the driveway. I first laid out all the parts under the truck to see where I needed to cut the existing system off at. Once I figured that out I tried cutting it with a hand saw, but that was very slow going. I eventually found a sawzall with a metal cutting end on it. Mind you I didn’t have the truck up at all it was just on its tires. I had to cut it with one hand, but it still worked better than the hand saw.
The next thing I had to do was fit the adapter to the existing pipe. Sounds easy, unless they are the same damn size, lol. I tried grinding the adapter down to fit snug in the pipe but it was a no go. I thought I was stopped dead in my tracks. I was going to head the the local Auto Zone and see it they had any ideas. This was a fun ride because I didn’t have a muffler at all. This damn 4-cylinder sounded like a huge diesel truck! They adapted my adapter, so I grabbed the pipe I needed and another clamp and headed back home. It wasn’t more than $12, that is a good buy. When I got it all home I cut the pipe to size and fit it all together. I tightened the clamps enough so that they would hold straight and not move too much. The next step was adding the muffler and bent piece. This was the next challenge, since I had to find a way to mount the bracket to the truck and have it in the right spot for the pipe. I was able to use an existing hole, which means I didn’t have to get the drill out. The bracket was generic so I had to give it a 90 degree bend at the correct height to get in in the right spot. Once that was done I had to fit the tail pipe to the bent pipe with another clamp and bracket. Again, I was able to use an existing hole with the new hardware, making it somewhat easy. This one I did not have to bend at all, but I did have to angle it so that it didn’t rest on the leaf springs. I then went back through it all starting at the adapters and straightened it all up and tightened it all. I made it as tight as I could with hand wrenches, which seems to be doing the trick. If I can I will make a short YouTube video just showing it and the sound.
Speaking of the sound, it is prefect. It is a little truck so it doesn’t have to sound like a monster. It is a turbo muffler and they are larger pipes than the stock system so the sound is deep and bold. It sounds healthy if that makes sense?!? At an idle it can be heard from in the cab with a window down. If you rev it in park or neutral it gives a pretty good kick but nothing loud enough make people go deaf. It is a great mix and fits the vehicle well. It didn’t come with a tip and to be honest I don’t know if I am even going to get one.
For the future of the truck I would like to replace the lights, redo the brakes and calipers, then start working on engine performance. Eventually I want some bigger tires and rims but for now I’m OK, plus I need to finish the paint job. I have plenty that I can still do so I won’t run out of projects for a while. On top of that I am a scatter brain so I won’t even be on an automotive kick in a matter of weeks. I’ll be on to another interest and head back to it later haha. 😀
Well I hope you all have a great day and I’ll see you tomorrow!