Bushcraft Camp

Hello Everyone!

As you may know from my last post I left work early yesterday to head into the woods. I was able to get quite a bit done on my own in the 3.5 hours that I was there. I square lashed the last 6 poles for the roof, threw up the tarp for added weather proofing, and started on mudding up the chimney. (Photos at the bottom) I did, thankfully remember to snap some pictures, so those will be at the bottom. It was a nice, bright sunny day yesterday. It was warm but not too hot. The water levels in the creek were average, even though we did recently have a good rain storm a few days ago.

I arrived, after buying the rest of my paracord, at about 2:30pm. I strapped my pack on my back and took my parents dog with me to the site. He loves getting out of the house and away from the other animals. First thing was first, I had to get the poles up. I realized just in time that I was going to be cutting it close on paracord, so I made sure to spare as much as I thought I could. I like doing two lashings around before tightening and at least one more after. That is a total of three times around the two points and twice to tighten. I never did measured it for an average, since each pole was different in size. I had to lash at the top and at the bottom since I have a raised back, for the fireplace. Once I got the poles up I made sure to take off any upward facing points that may puncture my tarp.  Since I just eyeballed my site it really isn’t “square” so the tarp didn’t want to fit flush. I have the back the way I need it, and that matters the most to me since I want the same amount of coverage on both sides. The top part has some over hang on the one side and barley covers the other. I pulled it taught and tied it down. Once the tarp was up I really saw the site coming together. It is starting to look like a real structure.

From there I decided to start the mudding process. I didn’t know if I would or not since it is a pain in the butt, but I decided to go for it. I took apart the fireplace as far as I had it stacked, and gathered some dirt in a 5 gallon bucket. I brought it to the creek and added water. Once back at the site I churned it, for lack of a better word. I then laid it down like mortar and re-stacked the stones for the fireplace/chimney. I used about 5 buckets of mud, which surprised me a bit. I didn’t think I would need that much. I still have to stack it up about a foot higher, to make sure that when the pines are on that they don’t burn.

At that point I was tired, and my brother was getting ready to leave. My dad and him were working on his deer stand while I was busy working on my camp site. He offered to give me a 4-wheeler ride back to the car. That was good enough for me to pack up haha. So here is the fruit of my labor (so far):

13886889_1757976377749842_2714967919288598010_n13895088_1757976367749843_6443586901098384439_n13900222_1757976427749837_7995483087111892555_n13901457_1757976417749838_7545834780973209107_n13902586_1757976371083176_8759941763543186262_n13912647_1757976437749836_8472807911722942911_n

 

Again, I still have the back, sides, chimney, and top to do. I also have to make two raised beds for the inside. I would love to get some winter camping in, if I get this thing finished.

Have a great hump day! 😀 😀

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s