Back again from a busy week night! I set out to get a few things done last night and with the help of my dad and brother we got them all done.
Somewhat simultaneously, we worked on all of these projects. The first one pictured is the big one. I really wanted to get to work on the cubby storage for the baby’s room. We had to make it on the floor so we had access to all sides at any given time. I used the drawings from yesterday as reference. And , well, here it is:
I assembled the whole thing with the two long pieces of lumber that I bought. I fashioned them together with wood glue and my nail gun with 2″ brad nails.
You can see that I have weight on the tops, and for good reason. The bottoms of three of the vertical sections are glued only. There was no other way to attach them, and I didn’t feel comfortable trying to toe nail it in the side.I have talked to a few people about it, and they have suggested if it becomes a problem that they make small brackets that could help hold it all together. I may look into that. The other thing that I think I’m going to do is return the lumber from the other project and get a panel that will fit the back of this to keep it sturdy. You can see the table saw right beside it, that is keeping it up perfectly.
One of the other things we accomplished was getting our ‘wedding tree’ planted. For our wedding we had a tree that we both put soil and water in. It was in place of a candle or sand. Well we lived at my parents house for two years after and it didn’t do well at all. I don’t think it’s dead but it isn’t looking good haha. We wanted it planted at our first home and now it is. We hope that it will grow and recover, but who knows. If you are curious, it is a Japanese Maple.
Another big one was, getting our mail issues sorted out. Again you know I didn’t want to be rushed to get my steps fixed. So we went ahead and put in a new mailbox! It was the one that we used for cards at our wedding. My dad had a treated post, and we dug the hole with a post hole digger. We have it close to the house so it will never be a big hassle to get the mail. We didn’t want it by the sidewalk, because we didn’t want kids messing with it. (not that they would)
I am going to stain the post and the little boards up under the box and throw on some nice stick on numbers for the mailman. I called the post office at 8:15am to get them bright and early. I had them take the hold off of my mail and have them delivering any mail they had and the new mail. This will allow me to take my time fixing the stairs and getting them in the best condition again. I am going to also put outdoor carpet on them for added protection.
Another thing that my brother did for me was fix my fence gate. I don’t have a picture of that but he put in a make shift shim by the post and then moved the mechanism down a bit. The gate door now opens and closes super easy. It really was a big help.
I received my motherboard in the mail yesterday too! I will be putting my PC back together tonight, as well as get some sanding done on the other two projects. It will be a busy night again but worth it. I have been getting quite a bit done lately. While we are still here I can update you on the Apple Jack. It is currently fermenting in my pantry. It has been one full week as of today. Once it slows up a bit I’ll re rack it into other carboys, and add some potassium bicarbonate to the mix, to stop the fermenting process. I will let it sit a bit longer after that and let it clear up. After that the only thing left to do is the freeze distillation.
Here we are, the end. I’m glad you stopped by. I hope you have enjoyed my projects and hectic life! I’ll see you again tomorrow 😀 😀