Since I am big into TV shows and movies of all kinds this topic is something I like to keep an eye one. I have some personal experience with people using and trying to get others to use this software. It is becoming an issue world wide for a few reasons, that I’ll discuss in this post.
First of all what is Kodi? If you haven’t heard of it you aren’t using it haha. The Kodi box itself is like any other box. Much like a Roku, it has channels similar to Netflix and IPlayer. This in itself isn’t illegal in anyway. What is illegal, most everywhere is the fact that the Kodi software has a library that lets you browse and watch pirated TV, movies, and sporting events. This gets into a whole big thing about copyright laws, since pirated material of any kind is obtained illegally.
It has been in the news very recently because the law has been changed, as far as punishment. From what I have read it is mostly a European law, but It will be similar in the US anytime now. The penalty for copyright infringement was about a two year, max, sentence. It has now been changed to ten years! That is a significant change in legislature, and a much bigger portion of someones life.
Kodi is able to be installed on a variety of things. Their download page offers you content for Windows, Linux, Apple, Android, Raspberry Pi, IOS, and more. WIth it being so easy to obtain and use, it is increasingly harder to stop or control. If people want something for free they can get it, plain and simple. Now again I want to stress that if you use the Kodi box for streaming legally you are good to go. It is only a criminal offense if you are using it to obtain illegal content. An example would be like, it is legal to own a gun and use it for hunting or target practice within the limits of the law. But, it is not legal to use that same gun to rob a bank and kill people. I know that got a bit extreme but you can see the clear difference.
Now just because the maximum penalty went up to ten years in prison doesn’t mean that just because you illegally streamed one movie you will go to jail for ten years. That is for the most severe cases. Still you may want to steer clear of it all together. This all does bring up some interesting questions like most things do!
- Is there a way to control downloaded or streamed media at all anymore?
- I’m leaning hard towards, no. Other than cracking down with harsher penalties not really. There are too many people doing it too often. There will always be a way to get around safeguards and rules.
- Is/should Kodi able to be held responsible for allowing illegal apps?
- To both of the questions, again no. They aren’t liable for how users use their device, just like Glock isn’t liable for someone murdering a guy with one of their guns. They shouldn’t be held accountable for people cracking their code and modifying it. I’m sure that they apply security updates and patches to try to prevent what they can, but back to question one. There is always a way around everything.
- Are the laws changing and cracking down even going to stop anyone?
- Again personal opinion only, no. I mean sure if they catch a person it will stop them haha but I don’t think the number of people stealing content will decrease at all. It may still just rise. It gets to a point were you cant have the population of the world all in jail! lol
- How does the increasingly growing number of illegally streamed content effecting the different industries?
- For music, movies, and events you may in the future see issues with funding. I don’t think it is there yet, but if the number keeps growing and people use these illegal means more often than not they won’t float the money to produce anything. It won;t be worth it if they can’t even make their money back. I’m not sure the industries will ever fold completely, but you may see a hike in prices if it becomes an issue. Maybe your baseball tickets will go up in price, or beer prices at the park may continue to rise because no one goes to the events. Who knows.
Again these are just quick questions that come to mind for me. If you can think of some that I didn’t please let me know in the comments below.
I want to know your thoughts on downloading or streaming content illegally, to get free movies, music, or events? Do you know someone who does any of these things? What are your thoughts?